The information that you provide is covered by the same patient-doctor confidentiality as in a normal face to face consultation.
Genital Candida/Thrush is a common infection caused by overgrowth of a naturally occurring fungus (candida). It is not usually serious, but the symptoms of this can be very uncomfortable. It typically affects women, but it can also affect men.
Candida/Thrush is not a sexually transmitted infection (STI).
Some treatments are available from a pharmacy without a prescription. These should be tried first as up to 70% will be cured by them. If you still have symptoms of thrush after trying these over the counter products our service will be able to provide you with a prescription medication that may help.
Who is this treatment for?
This treatment is for people who are experiencing the most common symptoms of thrush:
- Redness and itching around the vulva and vaginal area or on the head of the penis
- A white thick curdy discharge
- Burning pain/discomfort when you have sex
- Have used treatments for Candida/Thrush in the past and have found them successful.
The treatments available with CareOnCall are listed below:
- Fluconazole oral tablet (Caneclear, Diflucan or Canoral)
- Daktacort Cream
- Gyno-Pevaryl vaginal pessaries
This service is not suitable for you if:
- You are pregnant or possibly pregnant
- If you have symptoms in other areas, such as the mouth
- You are under 17 years of age
- You have bleeding between periods or after intercourse
- You have pain when passing urine, or increased urinary frequency
- You have green, smelly discharge from the vagina and you are concerned you have symptoms of an STI
- You have blisters or a rash on the skin of the vagina or penis
- You have unexplained lower abdominal pain for the past 48 hours.
- Have never been diagnosed with Candida/Thrush or have never used treatments for Candida/Thrush
How does the service work?
- Online consultations with Irish-registered doctors
- Discretely posted in a plain envelope with no branding
- Our doctors issue a prescription if medically safe and suitable
- Valid in any Irish pharmacy to buy your medication
- Delivery through the post usually within 2 business days after approval.
- Fax service for urgent requests available
Note: We can only ever prescribe for this treatment for patients that are at least 17 years of age.