The information that you provide is covered by the same patient-doctor confidentiality as in a normal face to face consultation.
Genital Candida/Thrush is a common infection caused by overgrowth of a naturally occurring fungus (candida). It is not usually serious, but the symptoms of this can be very uncomfortable. It typically affects women, but it can also affect men.
Candida/Thrush is not a sexually transmitted infection (STI).
Some treatments are available from a pharmacy without a prescription. These should be tried first as up to 70% will be cured by them. If you still have symptoms of thrush after trying these over the counter products our service will be able to provide you with a prescription medication that may help.
Who is this treatment for?
This treatment is for people who are experiencing the most common symptoms of thrush:
- Redness and itching around the vulva and vaginal area or on the head of the penis
- A white thick curdy discharge
- Burning pain/discomfort when you have sex
- Have used treatments for Candida/Thrush in the past and have found them successful.
The treatments available with CareOnCall are listed below:
- Fluconazole oral tablet (Caneclear, Diflucan or Canoral)
- Daktacort Cream
- Gyno-Pevaryl vaginal pessaries
This service is not suitable for you if:
- You are pregnant or possibly pregnant
- If you have symptoms in other areas, such as the mouth
- You are under 17 years of age
- You have bleeding between periods or after intercourse
- You have pain when passing urine, or increased urinary frequency
- You have green, smelly discharge from the vagina and you are concerned you have symptoms of an STI
- You have blisters or a rash on the skin of the vagina or penis
- You have unexplained lower abdominal pain for the past 48 hours.
- Have never been diagnosed with Candida/Thrush or have never used treatments for Candida/Thrush
How does the service work?
- Online consultations with Irish-registered doctors
- Discretely posted in a plain envelope with no branding
- Our doctors issue a prescription if medically safe and suitable
- Valid in any Irish pharmacy to buy your medication
- Delivery through the post usually within 2 business days after approval.
- Fax service for urgent requests available
Note: We can only ever prescribe for this treatment for patients that are at least 17 years of age.
The service is provided in accordance with your scheme rules and table of benefits, which you can find on Member Area on layahealthcare.ie or by calling LoCall 1890 100030.