Coronavirus PCR Test Referral (COVID-19)
Coronavirus PCR Test Referral (COVID-19)
A PCR Coronavirus test is necessary if you develop symptoms of coronavirus.
The most common symptoms of coronavirus include:
- Shortness of breath
- Loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Aches & pains
You may also need a test if you have returned to Ireland from certain designated countries to reduce quarantine/ isolation time after arrival. Up to date information on designated countries can be found here: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/b4020-travelling-to-ireland-during-the-covid-19-pandemic/
Please note we are unable to provide referrals for testing for the purposes of travelling from Ireland to another country.
This referral service can be provided in the following circumstances:
- You are >17 years of age
- You are experiencing symptoms of Coronavirus (listed above) for less than 4 days and are NOT acutely unwell
- You have travelled into Ireland from outside EU/EAA/Switzerland and require a PCR test after 5 days to end quarantine/ isolation. For further information on when this applies please click here https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/77952-government-advice-on-international-travel/
You can also a book free test via the HSE website: https://covid19traveltest.healthservice.ie/hse-self-referral/?flow=travel
If you think you need a referral for a Coronavirus test please complete the questionnaire below. This will be reviewed by our doctors who will arrange a referral to the HSE COVID-19 testing service if clinically appropriate.
This service is available to CareOnCall patients at no extra cost as part of your private health insurance plan.
If you develop severe shortness of breath (feeling short of breath at rest/ unable to complete sentences), or you are concerned you are becoming very unwell, you should immediately call 999.
Please read the following information carefully:
- This service is not for emergencies. This is a next business day service ONLY
- This is a private service and is not funded by the HSE. The fee for this service is 30 euro.
Please Note: a coronavirus test may not be advised.
- Please check that your mobile number is correct on your account. This will be required for all correspondence in relation to the test. (Please note, the HSE are only able to accept Irish mobile telephone numbers; non-Irish numbers CANNOT be used for the coronavirus testing service)
- We can arrange a referral for coronavirus testing if you are deemed suitable. We are bound by public health advice to only refer for testing where there are clear symptoms / indications.
- Once your referral has been sent, we have no influence over the status of your referral or how long your test will take to arrange. If you need to cancel/ reschedule your appointment, you will need to contact the HSE testing service directly.
- We cannot provide medical certificates relating to coronavirus for travel/ hospitality via this service.
- We request that you provide an eircode for the referral. If this can be provided when completing the questionnaire it will avoid unnecessary delays approving your referral for a coronavirus test.
Who is this service for?
This service is suitable for you if:
- You have symptoms of coronavirus:
- Symptoms started within the past 4 days
- You have not been referred for a coronavirus test within the past 10 days.
- You require a test Day 5 after arriving into Ireland from a designated country to reduce quarantine/ isolation time.
- Are 17 year of age or older
This service is unsuitable for you if:
- You have symptoms for more than 4 days (Please book a video consultation instead)
- You have symptoms and have been referred for a Coronavirus test in the past 10 days
- You have shortness of breath at rest/ sitting still
- You are pregnant.
- You require a coronavirus test for the purposes of travelling from Ireland to another country, or return to work, sport or education.
- You are a close contact of a confirmed case of coronavirus and do not have symptoms. (The Public Health team will correspond directly with close contacts and arrange testing / follow-up)
- You require a social welfare certificate/illness benefit certificate (You will need to book a video consultation to discuss this)
Please be advised, each adult patient will need to submit an individual request in their own name via their own patient account. We are unable to provide referrals for those less than 17 years of age.
How does it work?
- It’s just €30
- Fill out the detailed questionnaire
- An Irish Registered Doctor will review your questionnaire.
- If you are deemed suitable, you will be referred for a Coronavirus Test.
- If a coronavirus test is not advised, you may be directed to see your own GP or to book a video consultation.
The information that you provide is treated with the same patient-doctor confidentiality as in a normal face-to-face consultation.