Coronavirus Test Referral (COVID‑19)
NOTE: We are currently unable to process COVID-19 test referrals. For more information, about the HSE walk-in test centres, please visit the HSE website here.
Coronavirus Test Referral (COVID‑19)
If you think you need a referral for a Coronavirus test please fill out the following questionnaire. Your questionnaire will be reviewed by a doctor and if deemed appropriate, you will be referred for a coronavirus test.
This is a private service, your local GP will be able to complete a phone consultation with you at no cost to you as the HSE will reimburse your GP for the cost of the phone consultation.
Please be aware: if you are referred for a Coronavirus swab, you and and anybody living in your house with you, must self-isolate from when the test is ordered to getting your result, regardless of the outcome of the result.
How does it work?
- Fill out the detailed questionnaire
- An Irish Registered GP will review your questionnaire.
- If you are deemed suitable, you will be referred for a Coronavirus Test.
- If a coronavirus test is not advised, you may be directed to see your own GP or to book a video consultation.
The information that you provide is treated with the same patient-doctor confidentiality as in a normal face-to-face consultation.
This service is only for people who are experiencing the most mild common symptoms of Coronavirus within the last 3-4 days that include:
- A fever - which is a temperature of 38 degrees Celsius or above
- A cough - this can be any kind of cough, not just a dry cough
- Mild shortness of breath and any mild changes to your breathing
- Loss of or change to your sense of smell
- Loss of or change to your sense of taste
This service is available to CareOnCall patients at no extra cost to you as part of your private health insurance.
You can also call your local GP for a phone consultation at no cost to you. Your own GP will have phone consultation costs reimbursed to them by the HSE.
Note: you will be able to use this service if you have travelled from the UK or South Africa on or after the 10th of December 2020.
If your shortness of breath is severe or you are worried you might be seriously unwell, you should immediately call 999.
Please read the following information carefully:
- This service is not for emergencies.
- This is a next business day service.
- This service is for Adults (aged 17 or more)
- This is a private service and is not funded by the HSE.
- Please Note: a coronavirus test may not be advised.
- You will need to make sure that your mobile number is correct on your account.
- This service is solely intended to give you an indication of whether you will be suitable for Coronavirus testing and if so, issue a referral.
- This service does not diagnose Coronavirus. We are bound by public health advice to only refer for testing where there are clear symptoms.
- We do not provide referrals for Coronavirus test referrals for the purposes of:
- Planning to travel overseas. We do not provide certificates for international travel, if you require a cert for the purposes of international travel, we recommended that you contact a private service such as the Tropical Medical Bureau.
- Return to work, school or education.
- Testing because you are the close contact of a confirmed case of COVID-19. Our GPs are not allowed to refer close contacts of a confirmed case.
Who is this service for?
This service is suitable for you only if:
- You have not been referred for Coronavirus Testing by another GP within the past 10 days.
- You have mild symptoms and do not have breathlessness while sitting still or at rest.
- Your symptoms started in the past 4 days.
This service is unsuitable for you if:
- You have been referred for Coronavirus Testing by another GP within the last 10 days.
- You have shortness of breath at rest or sitting still.
- You are pregnant.
- You have symptoms that are present for more than 4 days. If you have symptoms for more than 4 days, please book a Video Consultation instead.
- You are looking for a Coronavirus test referral for the purposes of travelling overseas. If you need a test for the purposes of overseas travel, please contact a private medical clinic such as the Tropical Medical Bureau for more information.
- You are looking for a Coronavirus test in order to return to work or education.
- You are looking for a Coronavirus test because you are a close contact of a confirmed case of Coronavirus. Close contacts of a confirmed case will be contacted by the Public Health team to arrange a test. This service is only suitable for people who are experiencing the most common symptoms of Coronavirus infection.
- You are looking for a social welfare certificate/illness benefit certificate due to being absent for work. You will need to book a video consultation for this request.
- You are looking to book a Coronavirus test for another adult or a child in your care. You are not able to request a coronavirus test on behalf of another adult using this service. Each adult will need to submit their request through their own account. You are not able to request a test for a child using this service.