Coronavirus PCR Test Referral (COVID-19)
Coronavirus Test Referral (COVID‑19)
This service is available to CareOnCall patients at no extra cost as part of your private health insurance plan.
Because of the unprecedented demand for COVID-19 testing currently, the guidance for referral for PCR testing has been revised by the department of health.
IMPORTANT, MUST READ INFORMATION:
- Each adult patient will need to submit an individual request in their own name, or on behalf of a child
- Once your referral has been sent, we have no influence over the status of your referral or how long your test will take to arrange. If you require further information on your test you can contact the HSE on 1850 24 1850 or visit https://www.hse.ie/eng/hselive/
- You are required to self isolate (stay in your room) until the result of your PCR test is available when further guidance will be given. Self isolation is key to preventing the spread of infection.
- As per new Department of Health advice;
- if you are aged 4- 39 years, you should self isolate if you have symptoms of COVID-19 (immediately) and take regular antigen tests. If you have a positive antigen test then you should book a PCR test.
- Please note if you have repeated ‘not detected’ antigen tests, you should continue to self isolate for 48 hours after your symptoms have resolved.
- Children under 3 years old, or those over 40 years old should book for a PCR test as soon as you develop symptoms of COVID 19
- If you have an underlying condition that puts you at higher risk of significant COVID-19 infection, then you should speak with a doctor or arrange a PCR test.
For further information on the recent changes to HSE COVID-19 testing, please click on the link below:
A PCR Coronavirus test is necessary if you develop symptoms of coronavirus, or if you have a positive antigen test.
The most common symptoms of coronavirus include:
- Shortness of breath
- Loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Aches & pains
How does it work?
- Fill out the detailed questionnaire
- An Irish Registered GP will review your questionnaire.
- If you are deemed suitable, you will be referred for a Coronavirus Test.
- If a coronavirus test is not advised, you may be directed to see your own GP or to book a video consultation.
The information that you provide is treated with the same patient-doctor confidentiality as in a normal face-to-face consultation.
Please note: We are unable to provide referrals for testing for the purposes of travelling from Ireland to another country.
This referral service can be provided in the following circumstances:
- You are 4 - 39 years of age and have symptoms of COVID-19 AND a positive antigen test
- You are less than 4 years or over 39 years of age and you have symptoms of COVID -19
- You have an underlying health condition (any age) and have symptoms of COVID-19
- You are not acutely unwell
- You have had a positive Coronavirus antigen test, regardless of symptoms
If you think you need a referral for a Coronavirus test please complete the questionnaire below. This will be reviewed by our doctors who will arrange a referral to the HSE COVID-19 testing service if clinically appropriate.
If a referral for COVID-19 PCR testing is NOT issued, you may be directed to book an antigen test with the HSE, telephone your local GP or book a video consultation for further assessment.
Please be aware, your local GP should be able to arrange a telephone consultation with you for free if it is in relation to coronavirus.
You can also book a free test via the HSE website:
If you develop severe shortness of breath (feeling short of breath at rest/ unable to complete sentences), or you are concerned you are becoming very unwell, you should immediately call 999.
Please read the following information carefully:
- This service is NOT for emergencies. This is the next business day service ONLY.
- Please check that your mobile number is correct on your account. This will be required for all correspondence in relation to the test. (Please note, the HSE are only able to accept Irish mobile telephone numbers; non-Irish numbers CANNOT be used for the coronavirus testing service)
- We can arrange a referral for coronavirus testing if you are deemed suitable. We are bound by public health advice to only refer for testing where there are clear symptoms / indications.
- Once your referral has been sent, we have no influence over the status of your referral or how long your test will take to arrange. If you need to cancel/ reschedule your appointment, you will need to contact the HSE testing service directly.
- We cannot provide medical certificates relating to coronavirus for travel/ hospitality via this service.
- We request that you provide an eircode for the referral. If this can be provided when completing the questionnaire it will avoid unnecessary delays approving your referral for a coronavirus test.
Who is this service for?
This service is suitable for you only if:
- You have not been referred for Coronavirus Testing by another GP within the past 10 days.
- You have mild symptoms and do not have breathlessness while sitting still or at rest.
- Your symptoms started in the past 4 days.
This service is unsuitable for you if:
- You have been referred for Coronavirus Testing by another GP within the last 10 days.
- You have shortness of breath at rest or sitting still.
- You are pregnant.
- You have symptoms that are present for more than 4 days. If you have symptoms for more than 4 days, please book a Video Consultation instead.
- You are looking for a Coronavirus test referral for the purposes of travelling overseas. If you need a test for the purposes of overseas travel, please contact a private medical clinic such as the Tropical Medical Bureau for more information.
- You are looking for a Coronavirus test in order to return to work or education.
- You are looking for a Coronavirus test because you are a close contact of a confirmed case of Coronavirus. Close contacts of a confirmed case will be contacted by the Public Health team to arrange a test. This service is only suitable for people who are experiencing the most common symptoms of Coronavirus infection.
- You are looking for a social welfare certificate/illness benefit certificate due to being absent for work. You will need to book a video consultation for this request.